Highly collaborative and strategic leader in youth homelessness programs, policies and implementation. I bring lived experience as a homeless youth together with professional expertise to push bold and iterative systems-level change. National and local speaker on the need to create equity in the homeless response system.
Providing strategic planning, reimagining, and implementation of a racially equitable homeless response system.
My drive against racism has been a long standing experience. Growing up a mixed race child in a time when my race had not yet been racialized has given me a unique perspective and experience with internalized racial oppression, both inferiority and superiority. I carry a racial equity lens in all that I do and currently am working on producing writings on white and white-adjacent anti racism in the times of Black Lives Matter
Co-chair; Homelessness Equity Coalition Task Force
Collaborate to recommend equitable policy and practices
Experienced in research design and evaluation
Expert facilitator for focus groups and training
Coalition builder with strong communication skills
Bring anti-racist, trauma-informed lens and lived experience
- Coordinate with community partners and the City of Austin to develop equitable policies and programs that end youth homelessness
- Build coalitions of local leaders from stakeholder organizations, including ECHO, Austin Integral Care and others to lead programs that increase diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the system
- Develop, manage and facilitate collaborative projects that integrate the voices of those with lived experience into the policy and advocacy process
- Develop and lead trainings on the impact of trauma on youth experiencing homelessness and ways in which providers can build authentic relationships
- Provide and oversee initial and ongoing training, support, and feedback to staff responsible for implementing youth collaboration
- Oversee youth participant, contractor, and third-party employed budget and compensation
- Act as research consultant, serve on institutional review boards, develop evaluation tools, and synthesize data for research projects including the Youth Voice Initiative for newly housed youth
- Established administrative policies and procedures for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit
- Planned and operationalized annual budget; reviewed and approved contracts for services
- Built relationships with policy organizations to strategically enhance Growing Curiosity’s Mission
- Oversaw marketing and communications efforts.
- Reported to and worked closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in operational policy decisions and fundraising
- Consulted to develop educational tools for the school’s Understanding Homelessness class
- Led collaboration between Dell Medical School and the Austin Youth Collective to develop and implement a digital educational tool, the Voices from the Street story maps project
- Presented “Voices from the Street: A Digital Tool to Bring Homeless Healthcare into the Classroom” at the Health Science Innovations conference at The University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine, M.D., Academy of Health Science ,in Austin, February 2020
- Worked with Austin Youth Collaborative to create and implement an overnight training for medical students to increase empathy for people experiencing homelessness.
Trainings & Presentations
Co-trainer: The VOICE Project: Building the Social Supports of Formerly Homeless Youth, TNOYS’ 37th Annual Conference on Services to Youth and Families, 2020
Presenter: A Look Behind the Curtain: The Story of the Austin Youth Collective; True Colors United Impact Summit, 2019
Keynote speaker: INSPIRE Leadership Program, UT College of Liberal Arts End of Year Celebration, May 3, 2019.
Panelist: 2018 National Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY) Grantees Training, October 2018
Speaker & Storyteller: The Annual Texas Conference on Ending Homelessness/ Texas Homeless Network, September 2018